Sunday, June 27, 2010

Finding the Prefect Vendor



After years of paying for advertisements and years of working with the most amazing vendors, it is my turn to find them, hire them, and pay them. Here is the hard part: there are some vendors, I have only met briefly, seen at a bridal show, and otherwise do not actively work with during an event. I also don't have a clue to what they cost or what is appropriate. These are the things I know to do:

Step 1. Join the knot at http://theknot.com Great place for dresses and to chat with other brides.
Step 2. Get the Austin Wedding Guide and go to http://austin.texasweddingsltd.com/ I love to write in the time line area of the book.
Step 3. Ask for the list of preferred vendors from Vintage Villas Event Center and do not stray from that list. I repeat, do not stray from that list and if you must, ask your venue about the vendor you want to use.

Then another problem crept up, there are all these advertisements, even from people I have never met or have ever heard their company name. Then, I realized anyone can advertise. So how do I know who is great, that wonderful PREFERRED VENDOR LIST. All the wedding venues have them, use them, your professional wedding venue is telling you they are reputable.



Here is what I know to avoid:

Step 1. If other wedding vendors have never heard of the company, I am staying away.
Step 2. I make sure there is always somebody on call for that company. If my vendor is in a car accident, while I am deeply sorry for their pain, I still need a photographer to attend my wedding. I do not want to have to hire a vendor the week of my wedding due to an emergency. (I can tell you, we get at least one phone call every 2 weeks to replace a DJ who has canceled.)
Step 3. As much as I like my budget, if a vendor is really cheap, there is a reason they are really cheap. One will always get what they pay for.



Sadly, I want so many people to be a part of my wedding after I have worked with them for years, but I only have room for one photographer, one DJ, and one florist.

For a list of all my favorite preferred wedding vendors check out: http://www.cmaustindj.com/preferred-vendors/index.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment