Wednesday, July 14, 2010

The Wedding DJ Makes the Worst Bride




When I got engaged I thought it would be so easy to plan a wedding. After years of seeing and participating in events, helping all my friends and acquaintances, and talking to wedding vendors daily, I thought I might know a thing or two. Maybe not.

After the past week and a half, I find myself overwhelmed and stressed. I realized on Monday that during my daughter's nap time: I was trying to juggle sales calls, a contractor for a bathroom on the fritz, a blog, writing thank you notes for Brides Against Breast Cancer, while frantically trying to do the last edit on my first novel because some wonderful agent actually wants to read the whole manuscript.

So, I hired a wedding coordinator. Kathie Millen and Amber with Austin Wedding Planners and Elite events. I didn't hire them fast enough. I was a crazy person at our meeting yesterday, holding up a magazine photo of flowers, saying "these are my colors. Can you do it?"



Kathie knows how I work and thank God for this. I had the list of vendors and contracts in my head and I couldn't even fill out her paperwork appropriately and on time. She was very forgiving. Kathie also knows the ins and outs of a Jewish ceremony and/or Jewish Interfaith ceremony. I knew she could be sensitive to our family's religious and emotional needs while respecting both myself and Brandt.

Did I also mention she has a warehouse full of wonderful items for decorations? And she said we could actually go there and pick items out?

She even asked me the kind of cake I wanted and she would order it for me from Michelle's Patisserie. I do love Michelle and would love to do a tasting, but I don't like cake except for carrot and German Chocolate and that is exactly what I ordered. I already have tasted those and I can't wait to eat them on our wedding day. Yes, I asked for a tres leches for the bottom tier, for the guests. I hear it is fabulous, but the only way I can keep the weight off in the wedding industry is to stay away from the cake. A little wonderful note: Michelle does not use fondant unless requested. (Big sigh of relief, my mother loves butter cream)



After all that, Kathie is taking care of writing up the budget I am tired of pouting over and happily accepts my snap decisions. She knows all I want to do is be a mama, be a wife, write, and decide on the music for my wedding. I said several times "Just surprise me"! And I know better! I know that the bride who doesn't give a lot of direction is the scariest bride of them all. All of her wedding vendors, praying during her event, they have met her veiled expectations. I am that bride now and Lauren at Vintage Villas and Kathie Millen are unfettered, calming all my concerns, so I can jump into the realm of a more balanced life.

To hire Elite or Austin Wedding Planners go to: http://www.austinweddingplanners.com

Here are a few other coordinators I love:

Keri Wootton owner of Leave the Details to Me keri@leavethedetails2me.com
Barbara Hearne owner of Barbara's Brides http://www.barbarasbrides.com
Tanya Posavatz CSEP owner of [clink] http://www.clinkevents.com

No comments:

Post a Comment