Saturday, October 23, 2010

Wedding Registry....Ugh!


Ms. Manners says registering might be pretty common, however, not so polite. With that said, it is the custom to find several of your favorite stores, retrieve a scan gun and a registry list, and walk around like a crazy person, looking for UPC codes, wondering if you really need to register for a garlic roaster. On the other hand, I have several friends who, after years of living together, chose not to register and received 20 silver frames all engraved with their names and wedding date still sitting in boxes. Needless to say, we chose to register.

Here is the system, you want to register pretty early, right after the engagement. In some families it is customary to give engagement gifts, so it is best to be prepared. At the very least, the registry should be completed before you send out the save the dates which will include your wedding website. Your registries should only be found on your website or go through word of mouth.
NEVER, I repeat NEVER, should they be found in your wedding invitations. Let's meet Ms. Manners half way!
After years of talking to brides and seeing my friends register, registered myself, and vetted all these lovely stores, I have compiled a list of my top picks. I based my top picks on quality over quantity, Brandt and I registered together, insured the store had a good return policy, and thought about the affordability of my guests. While I love all of these stores, it is only appropriate to choose two or three. Who knew registering would be so taxing?



Top Picks:
1. Macy's - so easy for guests who live in smaller towns and smaller budgets. (Dillard' too)
2. Pottery Barn
3. William-Sonoma
4. Sur La Table - I wish my kitchen was that store.
5. Neiman Marcus - Did I mention I was from Dallas?
6. Fair Trade Global Exchange - Online - http://www.globalexchangestore.org/ - "Go green, whenever possible" is the Austin motto.
7. Crate and Barrel
8, Sears - Fore the groom, of course and very affordable.
9. The Honeymoon - Online - http://www.thehoneymoon.com/
10. Pampered chef

1 comment:

  1. We used http://www.SimpleRegistry.com so we could have one registry with multiple stores and some honeymoon activities. We highly recommend them!

    ReplyDelete