Monday, September 27, 2010

What's in a Name?

A Lot! While feminists and traditionalists have debated for and against a woman taking her husband's last name for years, it is my turn to make this decision. Surprisingly, neither argument moves me to choose, instead it feels personal and pragmatic.

After some time searching Wikipedia, various websites, and talking to married female friends I found out a few interesting facts. First of all, only English speaking countries expect a woman to change her name after she gets married. I also realized I was not alone in my panic of a new identity and, honestly, it is confusing to have two names in a household from veterinarian to pediatrician appointments.
I have always been Tara Humphrey and my last name, while I never loved it, means Peace. Peace is something I do like and I am proud my name has such a dignified meaning. On the other hand, I can't imagine a life trying to explain each time I make an appointment for our child, why we have different names.

While I am envious of all the other cultures that automatically assume a woman will keep her parent's name, I have chosen to take Brandt's last name, Herrington, and replace my middle name with Humphrey. No one uses my middle name but my mother and she still can! So my identity will still be Tara Humphrey and I am only adding to who I am instead of replacing who I was before I was married. Isn't that the point of marriage?

So how am I going to change my name? Oh, so much work, but a friend of mine gave me "The Name Change Kit". And it is awesome. I LOVE, LOVE this kit. It is helping organize the overwhelming process with lists and paperwork for a smooth transition to becoming Tara Humphrey Herrington. Here I go.
P.S. This is a long process, so make sure you are not leaving the country anytime soon after you start changing your name.

2 comments:

  1. I found it much easier to change than to go back. I'm still trying to not have my ex husbands last name. grrr

    ReplyDelete